6 chemicals that don’t belong in personal lubricants!
1. Sodium hydroxide is also known as caustic soda. It is corrosive and a skin sensitiser.
2. Sodium benzoate is a problem when combined with Vitamin C. It forms Benzene, a cancer-causing chemical associated with leukemia and other blood cancers.
3. Phenoxyethanol has been found to be toxic, even in small doses. The breakdown of Phenoxyethanol in the body produces phenol, which can adversely affect your immune system.
4. Methylparaben has been found in breast cancer tissues. It may increase the risk of breast cancer, or accelerate the growth of these tumours.
5. Chlorhexidine is an anti-bacterial which also kills good bacteria in the vagina.
6. Dimethicone and Cyclomethicone are examples of chemicals used in silicone-based lubricants. They coat the skin, affecting normal functions and permeability. Bacteria can get trapped under the coating, leading to irritation and affecting pH.
Chemical-free Olive & Bee
Ingredients are 100% Australian. Shelf life is 2 years without a preservative.
Olive & Bee is “good anti-bacterial”. Bad bacteria won’t grow in it, but it doesn’t kill good bacteria.
We feel it is the safest Intimate Cream on the market